Managed to squeeze quite a lot in, including:
- Weekend at an arts & music festival
- National Geographic dinner event, with Professor Brian Cox as guest speaker – absolutely mind-blowing!
- Michael McIntyre live in Hong Kong (funny, although jokes about housework fell a bit flat as pretty much all ex-pats have cleaners/maids…)
- My Dad’s 80th birthday bash
- My Gran’s 92nd birthday celebrations (maternal grandmother, in case anyone’s trying to do the maths…)
- A couple of days in Macau – my gambling exploits ended with a HK$100 loss (about a tenner!)
- A ‘hairy crab‘ evening with the siblings
- Two ‘Superhero’ cinema trips (‘Thor: Ragnarok’ and ‘Justice League’)
The last few times I’ve been on holiday, I’ve hardly bought anything but this time, not only did I do some Christmas shopping but I also actually purchased some new clothes – I know, whatever came over me!? 😉 So I spent quite a bit more than expected out there but it means much of my present-buying was done, so that was a result.
As mentioned above, it was my Dad’s birthday and there was a full-on formal banquet laid on, with the whole clan in attendance. It was fabulous to catch up with cousins, aunts and uncles I very rarely see and great to see all 4 generations get together. Although I knew I was going to be contributing towards the costs with my other siblings, I hadn’t put enough aside for it, so most of it came out of my ’emergency funds’, which I will have to ‘pay back’ over the next year.
This may put a little squeeze on my savings rate but I aim to tighten my spending further so am hoping there won’t be too much impact there.
Some people (apparently) take toilet rolls with them when they go away on holiday – me, I brought some back! Groceries in HK are very expensive, much of the food is imported, so the own-brands of Tesco, M&S and Waitrose compete well over there versus imports from other countries.
However, I spotted that toilet paper in HK is cheaper than in the UK – half the price of an Andrex 9-pack for similar/better quality – so since I had space in my suitcase and I was under my luggage allowance, I brought back some rolls, haha!
And on that note, with the dark days hurtling towards the inevitable madness that is the Christmas holiday, I wish you all a very merry one and will see you all on the other side!